Friday 31 March 2017

Carpet Bowls - By Carla McIntyre

CARPET BOWLING

On Wednesday 29 March at 10:00 my class went to the hall to learn about carpet bowls. It was for a science experiment about friction and force.


Carpet bowls is indoor bowling. We received two bowls and Mr Hall taught us about the weight on the sides of the bowls. The side with the small white circle carries the most weight and is called the bias. 


This means that when the bowl starts slowing down, the bowl will start to roll to the side of the bias. 


Mr Hall said that the weight has to be on the inside. He also mentioned that you had to roll the bowl on an angle to make it reach the jack!


I also had to think about the force I was putting behind the bowl to make sure it didn't go off the mat.


I found this challenging, but the more times I rolled the bowl, I found I was getting better at it.

By Carla McIntyre

No comments:

Post a Comment